From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 21:40:22 -0700
Another attempt at posting on Lactnet.  I apologize
for any inconvenience my novice computer skills have
caused!
I have seen methods of what was referred to as "manual
pelvimetry" described in several midwifery texts.  I
think this skill has fallen by the wayside over the
years and its importance is vastly underrated in the
field of "traditional" (modern, Western) obstetric
practice.  I, for one, would like to see its
resurgence.
One more note, sort of off subject and sort of
not...here in San Diego, we have a museum of
anthropology.  One of the mummies displayed is of a
woman who died in childbirth.  The body of the baby is
clearly visible in the birth canal.  Reading the posts
about pelvic measurements made me think of her.
Haunting.  Fascinating.  And still a bit sad, even
after so many years.
Thanks to all who contribute to Lactnet and provide
much-needed mental stimulation and occasional
laughter!
Carole Jernigan, RN, CLC-to-be