From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 13:39:42 +1000
I am just catching up on Lactnet posts after an interruption to my telephone
and email caused to rain damage to underground lines.

Christine B. wrote: "My own (unconsidered) opinion has been that pasteurized
breast milk is basically the very best 'formula'."

No, breastmilk, expressed or otherwise, is definitely NOT the "best"
formula.  For a start, it is not a "formula".  A "formula" (or recipe) is
subject to human error at every stage of its manufacture, whether in the
factory or the kitchen.  This error can be through measurement inaccuracies
(about which there are numerous studies) and through contamination.  Even
before the measurement is done, there is the assumption that mixing up
bottles to the same recipe, at any time of day, based on age or weight, is
what babies need.

The human body does a good job of producing milk, without being sabotaged by
human error.  Any formulaic feeding depends on the beliefs of the time about
what is appropriate as a substitute feeding for babies (or in some
countries, the usual feeding after the early weeks).  These guesses change
from time to time (every few years they are promoted as "new, improved" - so
what was the previous version like?). Their composition may also depend on
market forces, e.g. as regards the most economical fats to add.

Ever wondered why the adjective "formulaic" (about a response or course of
action) has negative connotations?

Christine, this post isn't meant to be critical of you - this is a common
saying. I just wanted to remind everybody to be careful of the words we use
as words affect how the people we talk to think.  I'm not immune.  I have
had to change my own word use.  I cringed recently when I looked at
something I wrote years ago and saw "it" used to refer to the baby.  This is
something I have avoided doing for years, through making an effort
(difficult in the English language).

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, GD Counselling, IBCLC, FILCA
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
E: [log in to unmask]