Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:05:33 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I wish this survey included "concern re inadequate hindmilk intake".  Some of the (older, well-educated) moms I meet are so concerned about qty of hindmilk to their infant that they actually underfeed (one breast indefinitely) and thereby reduce milk supply.  I call it "starving in the quest for the holy grail of hindmilk".    Most of the mothers I meet are unable to distinguish suck from swallow, and have been watching the clock + recording all in their smartphone app.   They rely on technology when heart and gut would have guided them better.   When they start to worry about hindmilk as well then breastfeeding becomes a worrisome project, not a relationship.

For me another option in this survey would be "improper management of pumping".  Due to the increase in late preterm births there's an increasing need for moms to know how to pump properly until baby is strong enough to do the job.  I meet too many moms who stopped pumping at discharge (and that's why I'm meeting them - weight loss and now low milk) or ignored the advice to pump regularly given friends/family assurance that milk will miraculously increase when that ex34w infant finally gets to breast.  Ok - so I see them at one month pumping 2-4 /day for <5 oz.   Too sad.  What usually triggers a visit to me is baby is now refusing to latch at all.  99% of these families cite nipple confusion as the problem, not low supply.  It hasn't occurred to them that baby won't go to the restaurant where food is promised but never delivered.

Perhaps another survey option would be "lack of understanding of physiology of milk production".  I would have given that one a high %. 
Joanna Koch, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2