Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:55:30 -0500
I've been reading this thread with great interest.  I'm a volunteer
(duh - just look at my signature) with a well known mother-to-mother
breastfeeding support group.  I'll also be sitting the IBCLE this
summer.

Now, I think that some of the new education guidelines may be
appropriate, I think that you can also learn a lot of those things on
your own if you are motivated to do it.  Personally, I feel as if I'm
in a good position, I have graduate degree in Biolgical Anthro, so I
feel I have a reasonable background in anatomy and physiology.

I think there should be some other way for "direct" entry
(non-medical degreed people) to get the background (basic biology)
they need to sit the exam.  My co-Leader, who is IBCLC, had to learn
the anatomy and physiology on her own - she already knew alot of the
lactation related stuff from her 8+ years of being a LLLL and keeping
up on the literature.  She started off borrowing _The Human Anatomy
Coloring Book_, then progressed to borrowing some basic biology
texts, then she tackled the more esoteric anatomy, physiology, and
endocrinology of lactation.  She would not have been able to take
courses for monetary and family reasons - where would that have left
her if she had waited to take the IBCLE?

Now, if we are going to require course work we shouldn't neglect
hands-on-knowledge either.  Apprenticeships are excellent ideas - I
know where my weaknesses are and plan to fill in those gaps - luckily
I'll be able to do this without stressing my family's already
stretched pocketbook.

Sometimes it gets too easy to get caught-up in all the technicalities
and problems that can occur during lactation.  It is just as
important to be familiar with the course of normal lactation.  Take
advantage of the opportunities available in your communities.  Visit
LLL, NMAA, or NMC meetings.  Talk to the Leaders/Facilitators of
these groups - I would expect that most would welcome you and hope
that you share your expertise with them as they share their expertise
with you.

I hope this wasn't too rambling - I would like to avoid a split
between degreed and non-degreed IBCLCs.

Alicia Rudin, LLLL in the Bluegrass (Lexington, KY)
mailto:[log in to unmask]