From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:18:23 EDT
have been contacted by a nearby Health Department.  They are  working
with a pregnant woman whose baby's intestines are outside the  body.  They are
talking to this mom about the importance of  breastfeeding/breastmilk for the
baby.  But this mother wants something  in writing about why it would be good
for her baby for her to go to the  trouble of breastfeeding/providing
breastmilk.
Of course, we all know the generalities.

Here are some specifics:  Baby will have a long hospital  stay--breastmilk
will protect against the increased risk of infection. Baby will  have
surgery--breastmilk will aid healing and again lower risk of infection.  Baby's
intestines will be put rather willy nilly back into the abdominal cavity  either
slowly over time if the defect is large and the baby is small, or all at  once.
Baby will be NPO for a time on TPN. Certainly, when feedings are  started,
breastmilk should be more easily digestible for this baby. Mom  will not have a lot
of control over things that happen to this baby but she and  she alone can
provide optimal nutrition. She does not have to commit to long  term
breastfeeding--she can pump one day at a time. She does not sound really  sure about this
commitment so I would ask her if she could pump with no  commitment at this
time to long term breastfeeding. I would also help  her to get a good hospital
grade pump and discuss pumping guidelines even before  the baby is born so she
can get off to a good start.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC