From:
Julie Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:23:44 -0400
Thanks for the link to the CNN story. All in all, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  They presented the AAP and WHO recommendations, which can use all the promotion they can get, and explained how breastfeeding a 6 or 8 year old is totally different from the image of a much more frequently breastfeeding infant that's conjured up in people's minds.  It was nice that Elizabeth Cohen mentioned her own experience of being breastfed, adding one more role model to the mix.

They lost me, however, the umpteenth time they called breasts "sexual", which only serves to reinforce people's ickiness with nursing, let alone a nursing 8 year old.  Just once, I'd love to hear people talk about how "uncomfortable" they are with the idea of a Hooters restaurant because breasts are a source of nourishment and comfort and they shouldn't be "sexualized" :)

Julie Rosen, LLLL in NJ