From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:17:18 -0600
Megan,

You might not want to share information such as this, (that you are part of a information campaign about DHA), especially with someone like Dr. Greene.

3 reasons:
1. Since Dr. Greene's site is directly sponsored by MJ, it has a direct link back to them - I can guarantee they will be told about this.  All this will serve to do is give them a "heads-up" to the articles that will be written, and they will get the PR machine ready, either with a pro-active or re-active efforts.  My advice is to not give formula co's (via sales reps, websites etc, their spokespersons) any information - they will just use it against us.  Spokepersons like Dr. Greene give credibility and a vehicle for the co's to get their message out.  But another important role that they provide is a information pipeline on the market, back to the company.  You are giving them market research that they don't have to pay for.  Who needs spies when the information is emailed to you?

2. Unlike other breastfeeding issues that we work on, giving information about DHA and the new formulas could border on "slander" - I would be worried about the possibility of being sued.  I'm not an expert on this, but since the co's have put big bucks into this, I think they will very seriuosly defend this.  (I'm not saying that we should be quiet on this, I'm just saying that this type of information is a little different than talking about other barriers to breastfeeding, than are not so directly linked to specific formula co's or products)  What do others (and lawyers) have to say about what the boundaries to slander would be?

3. Frankly, I think writing to the formula co's (which is what you would be doing by writing Dr. Greene) is a waste of our time and advocacy efforts.  They won't change, no matter how much we plead, threaten, etc.  They only care about their customers, which we are not.   I think our time is much better spent in educating the public.

Respectfully,
Janice Reynolds

"The reason for this email is to express my disappointment with the fact that your site is sponsered in part by Mead Johnson, makers of Enfamil Lipil. I have recently joined efforts in starting a media campaign to educate parents about the new additives (DHD & ARA) to these "new and
improved" formulas whose track record has not yet been examined closely enough for it to be considered safe, in the opinion of many health professionals."