Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:28:20 -0600
 Pat Gima's post on the thrush
>possibility was interesting, relating how she often sees such "slice"
>wounds in affected nipples. A few questions -- does the yeast stay
>localized in the open wound, or spread to the ducts or across the
>surface to more generalized soreness?

When it is caused by yeast overgrowth, it always gets worse if it is not
treated. Actually the nipple itself is "infected" by yeast but the one spot
is so sore that mother thinks that that is the whole problem.  If it is not
treated effectively, then it will progress to the milk ducts. Then we have
a longer time restoring the breast and nipple to healthy balance.

Those of you who have used Gentian Violet know that there is some relief
even after one application of the beautiful purple stuff. GV 2X a day,
along with Jack's ointment after feedings for healing, can often resolve
the problem, especailly since baby is being treated also with the GV.

Would something like "moist wound
>healing" methods provide moisture that might actually encourage
>yeast?

Yes. I am reluctant to use any of those dressings with yeast because of its
fondness of dark, warm, moist places for growth. Any covering that she uses
needs to be changed with each feeding. Open to air is the best though, with
leaking, most mothers don't want to go topless.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]