From:
Susan R Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:16:48 -0700
Dear Alis,
    The twin cities of Mpls/St. Paul has a moderately large deaf
population. I married a deaf man in 1985. We went to ASL classes while we
were dating in '84 and finished up in '85.  I am of stoic Swedish descent
and the sign language has helped me become more expressive and open with
giving and receiving emotions.  The deaf do not hear the tone of your
voice, so they focus on facial expressions; also things such as raising
the eyebrows or frowning are part of some signs.  This has helped me
communicate with non-English speaking pts. as well, and to not be afraid
of some pantomime for inquiring about pain, showing joy over the baby,
maybe being a little bit funny.  I carry a little doll in my lab coat
pocket and use her, Petra, for a model with positioning; kind of talking
with my hands.
     Marrying my dh was one of the best decisions I ever made!  Our life
may be a little different, such as no pillow talk in the dark.  He
doesn't hear the kids whine so he didn't discipline them for it; when one
of our girls was 3 and whining for candy he thought he was so tough by
giving her an oatmeal cookie instead - healthier choice!  ha ha     A
dear colleague, older and wiser than me, has reminded me that
unconditional love is more important than enforcing rules, she is right,
and my hubby sure comes through on the love.  Our three kids adore him.
     Alis, if you are so inclined, go for it with learning sign language
and see where it takes you!  Yes, it can make you a more effective
breastfeeding supporter.
      Susan in Minn.
       rn ibclc