From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 19:16:33 PDT
Lactnuts: send feedback to me if you want - the letter is not in the mail
yet. LW

May 5, 2000

John J. Hartig, President and CEO
Parenting Magazine
325 6th Avenue
New York  NY 10019

Dear Sir:

I am writing about the article in your May 2000 issue entitled "The
Breastfeeding Police" by Laura Stanley.  I feel badly for the mothers who
were chastised for not breastfeeding; that kind of rude behavior is never
justified.  However it sounds like the comments mostly came from uncouth,
though probably well-meaning, passers-by.  The tactless behaviors of these
few women should not be blamed on breastfeeding advocates in general.  On
the contrary, I see formula pushed like crazy on all moms by family members,
friends, doctors, nurses, the media and formula reps and I see breastfeeding
mismanaged and sabotaged every day, so that mothers who truly do want to
breastfeed cannot succeed.

Your article states a disbelief that breastfeeding is, in fact, any better
than formula feeding. The American Academy of Pediatrics found differently.
Their 1997 policy was written after extensive critical review of the
research and much discussion among very learned pediatricians and is
unequivocal in its recommendations that breastfeeding confers huge health
advantages.  The fact remains that some mothers cannot breastfeed, others
can only partially breastfeed, and others choose not to breastfeed or choose
to partially breastfeed. Ethical healthcare providers still have to give the
facts, so that mothers who can breastfeed will choose to do so, and mothers
who cannot breastfeed can then make the best possible choices in other areas
to maximize their children's health potential.

Board certified lactation consultants (IBCLCs) and La Leche League leaders
(LLLs) are excellent sources of help and support for breastfeeding families.
In my vast experience knowing and working with many of them, they are very
sensitive and caring people who would never behave as your article depicted.
When this type of rude and unprofessional behavior occurs it should be
reported so that it can be corrected by the international organization(s).
I sincerely hope that mothers will continue to educate themselves about
breastfeeding and choose to do so whenever they can.  If they have questions
or need help, they can find me and many other qualified and caring
professionals through the International Lactation Consultants Association or
La Leche League International.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC