From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:46:07 -0500
I would not continue with it, no. I would say that the topical APNO
ointment, outlined in Cindy's wonderful pages,
www.breastfeedingonline.com, under Jack Newman MD's articles, would be
the next way to go . If the MD will not prescribe that, I would get
another doctor to do it, as the risk of that is way less than systemic
Diflucan. Kathleen

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

A patient with symptoms of yeast infection went to her doctor who
diagnosed probable bacterial infection and put her on oral antibiotics
for 2 weeks.  During that time she used gyne-lotrimin week 1, gentian
violet week 2.  She is now off antibiotics and still has burning,
itching, and pain in the nipples bilaterally.  She wonders if she can
continue GV one more week.  What would Dr. Jack say?  Any way to ask
him?

She has asked her physician for a prescription for Dr. Jack's All
Purpose Nipple Cream; if that is denied, she will ask for Diflucan.

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC
530-265-1454 office