From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 19:06:27 -0700
>>But are we seeing optimal in those images?  "Tickle the baby's lower
lip with your nipple and pull the baby close" doesn't optimize the depth
of the latch, but it's pretty common advice.  What technique were the
mothers in that study using?<<

Diane..... What happens when we leave a baby to his own to latch?  There
are maternally assertive latch techniques that "optimize" latch, and
then there are passive latch techniques that let baby lead. If we can
accept the idea that if it doesn't hurt mom and baby is thriving, then
it's ok, what's going to be "normal"? As much as it drives me crazy to
watch, most babies hop on and and suck that nipple in. It doesn't seem
to hurt all mothers, and it becomes more prevalent the longer
breastfeeding continues. (I'm not advocating for the spaghetti suck
latch, just commenting) *In nature* without interventions, even given a
society where breastfeeding is the normm, what are we going to see as
normal? I think we are going to see those stretched out nipples.

Lisa