Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:30:52 -0500
I hope no one is offended or grossed out--but we had a mother we discharged
the other day who has a worm in her brain.  This mother is taking Tegretol
to control seizures, otherwise I am not sure if she was given a vermifuge to
kill the worms, or if the *thing* is still living there.

Anyway, there was much discussion and speculation about whether this is
passed on to the baby either in utero, or through breast milk.  In looking
at her history, and talking with one of her physicians, there was
information that suggested that the worm/s won't migrate elsewhere in the
body.

This patient was from Mexico and it was thought she got this by eating raw
or undercooked pork....although, it was not toxoplasmosis that was
diagnosed.

Anyone ever dealt with anything like this?

We and her doctors all encouraged her to breastfeed.

Just curious about anyone else's experience.

Connie Chiavario, IBCLC
Rush-Copley Medical Center
Aurora, IL