From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:37:10 -0400
Hi All,
    I have real mixed feelings after having seen this presentation.
There are many unanswered questions. I took offense at the women
presented in the military's interest, as if it is no big deal to combine
breastfeeding and the military (or the subtle implication) that
breastfeeding for maternity leave constitutes 'breastfeeding my child.'
Any working woman knows that particularly the initial period of
adjustment can be difficult and/or stressful
    The military is a different environment than civilian jobs. The day
starts early and runs long, combat units are hectic and may work
weekends and holidays without breaks, allowance for a pass (a day or two
off) or leave (vacation time) without repercussion. This would not be
allowed in most civilian jobs.
    Another factor to put in is that most military Pediatricians do not
support breastfeeding and certainly breastfeeding as late as 9 months, 1
year and definately up to 2 years. In my experience I have crossed maybe
one or two who would not react with shock at the last time frame. If the
superiors of Emma's unit superior had gone to the Pediatric Clinic and
discussed the situation of breastfeeding, they would have gotten no
support for Emma's decision and would therefore not support her actions.

    I feel that the women in the piece were extremely unfair to Emma,
unless they know something that we do not know. A woman who enters the
military and is harrassed from day one (which at West Point occurs
whether you are male or female) and gets into schools and/or units where
even one man is against women in the military, the harassment that goes
on around post - it use to be I felt like I was living in a male prison
as every time I walked any where I was whistled and hooted at. It gets
telling, add to that possible (probable) comments and/or harrassment for
breastfeeding beyond maternity leave or the 'early months,' I can
understand why Emma chose the route she did.
    I was depressed by the Supreme Court decision. Obviously, we need a
constitutional admendment to protect and give rights to our children.
    My overall impression of this program was that an important part of
the puzzle was left out, I feel that since the military presented their
typical 'line,' they were the ones covering up something, but once
again, it bothers me that the media is willing to present a story
without all of the major issues presented clearly.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY