From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:20:50 -0500
This is an old folk remedy from Norway, the shells look like the
stereotypical straw hats you see in old pictures of people working in rice
paddies, and are called 'elbow shells' in Norway.  There is no scientific
evidence for their effect.  I am of the opinion that if it feels good it's
probably harmless and if it doesn't feel good, why use it?  If it is being
sold to women (they used to just pick them up off the shore, for free) then
whoever is selling it should be able to show that it is worth the money and
is not harmful.  Whichever authorities may apply to such sales, should
insist that such evidence is provided.
That said, we have a drawer full of them on my ward, gathered by staff on
holiday at the seashore, and a lot of women like them, esp if their skin is
so abraded that anything touching their nipples is painful.  I'm happy to
report that the staff in my unit are more likely to do real trouble shooting
now than they were just a few years ago, before resorting to the use of
gadgets, magic feathers, salves, etc. for soreness.  Now if I could just get
eradicate the notion that it is normal to be very sore for the first two
weeks, I could retire happily.

Very cute that a Dane is claiming this as a Danish remedy; I believe it has
been in use in Norway for over 100 years...
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway