From:
Laurel Tharrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:53:12 -0400
Hi All,

   Regarding lactogenesis and breast surgury...

   I learned so much from this experience and from my LC Linda Cherside.  She
saved my breast, restored my ability to breastfeed my child and inspired me to
become an LC.
  I thought I was an experienced OB nurse when at 12 weeks PP w/my 2nd
child my OB sent me to a surgeon who removed a "suspicious" lump that
turned out to be a benign fibriodoma.   He cross cut through the delicate
ductal system and I was leeking milk before I left the recovery room.  The
sutures didn't hold and his choice of tx. was to add silver nitrate to the gaping
incesion - causing a friable mess!  (I found out after the fact that he had
never performed surgury on a lactating breast}.  That is when I contacted
Linda, changed doctors and gave the surgeon the boot ...while giving him a
piece of my mind I also handed him the names and numbers of doctors who
had ACTUALLY operated on a lactating breast - ncluding Susan Love.
   With this new approach I performed my own deep wound care, pumped and
disgarded once a day on the effected breast and fed from the other.
It took 7 weeks to heal by secondary intent.  I resumed full breastfeeding and
production was restored.
    I also threw away my rose colored glasses, became empowered and am
now proud to call myself a Lactivist.

Gratefully, Laurel