From:
Michelle Kinne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:45:16 -0500
I feel like we are missing the proverbial elephant in the room. Women continue to nurse throughout pregnancy all across the planet. How could using a pump during pregnancy be much different?

The precise cause of the onset of labor is still unknown. If we really knew what resulted in the onset of labor it would sure cause great strides to be covered in terms of resolving the issue of pre-term birth. We just aren't certain, yet. There are a number of theories that simultaneously may explain why the issue of pumping during pregnancy for a mother not at risk for pre-term birth is not(usually)risky. Theories regarding the cause of the onset of labor include the hormonal status of the mother and the balance of estrogen and progesterone, increase of oxytocin receptor sites of the uterine muscle, prostaglandin influence, the physical pressure of the fetal head and the distention of the uterine muscle, and the release of chemicals from the fetal adrenal glands (there are plenty more theories, these are just a few). Ask a mother who has unsuccessfully attempted to induce her labor with a breast pump and they can testify that labor has its own clock, it usually does not work unless the ideal 'milieu' of factors exist.

That being said most of us have reviewed literature regarding breastfeeding during pregnancy. For women experiencing normal, healthy pregnancies and that have no medical condition that would consider them at risk for pre-term birth, breastfeeding during pregnancy, love making activities that involve breast stimulation and pumping are not contraindicated. Moms should be provided with education surrounding warning signs of contractions and so forth and referrals on whom to contact with further questions if there is any concern regarding the stimulation of labor.

Michelle H. Kinne ICCE CD(DONA) CLE
www.DoulaDiva.org