Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:32:56 EDT
Kathleen Bruce wrote:

<...It was quite eye opening. People recovering from MI don't
expect a free sample vitamins, or a gift cert to the local health club,
just as those recovering from broken legs don't necessarily expect a sample
of the newest calcium supplements, or homeopathic samples of boneknit?...>

Actually gift-giving has become quite the trend with the pharmaceutical
companies (at least in the US).  Over the last few years, I have seen an
increase of direct to patient advertisement for all sorts of prescription
medications there all sorts of freebies (sometimes masquerading as patient
education material) and discounted coupons to try a new medication.  I have
had many patients receive mailings about "new medications" that could replace
their current prescriptions.  Sadly, prescription costs have skyrocketed in
the US.  With the clamor for new medications fewer insurers are covering
prescription medications as completely. Also some hospital offer
"enticements" to attract patients to use their facility.  The only place this
doesn't seem to happen is in the emergency room (the most overwhelmed part of
most hospitals) :)!

So I don't think the clamoring for goodies is limited to only post partum.

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett, MD
Modesto CA