Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:37:23 EDT
Dear ones,

This post comes from an IBCLC not yet on Lactnet -- I too will be interested
in your responses:

I have a unique situation that I am looking for input or direction for help.
I have a first time breastfeeding mom who at around 2 months post partum
developed a lump on the inside  of her breast near the chest wall that did not go
away.  She was referred to a breast surgeon who scheduled a biopsy.  When mom
arrived for the biopsy the surgeon said he had decided to just remove the
whole lump which he did that day.  The pathology report diagnosed it as a
lactating adenoma.  The surgeon then recommended weaning the now 4 month old.  She
continued to breastfeed.  At 1 1/2 weeks post op the infant began skipping the
10pm feeding so mom pumped for comfort for several days.  At 2 weeks the
incision site, which had been healing well, became hard and swollen.  Upon visiting
the surgeon he aspirated breast milk from the site.  For 2 weeks now the mother
has gone to the surgeon M-W-F for aspiration of the site.  The aspirate
continues to be only breast milk.  The surgeon continues to recommend weaning the
infant but mom does not want to wean but also cannot continue to go for
aspirations 3 times weekly.  She skipped the Monday  aspiration this week but the
area became even harder and was aspirated today (2 syringes full, not sure size)
with a bigger gauge needle.  This is the mom's first child.  The surgeon does
not seem to have any answers for this problem or development except weaning.
Since he has realized that she does not want to wean, today he said that
there is a leaky hose that is oozing breast milk and did suggest that she pump 2
times a day in addition to nursing to help relieve the problem.
Questions she and I have.
Will pumping really help anything or cause more problems?
Is weaning the only option to prevent the need for aspirations?
What are the future implications for breastfeeding?
There is a lemon sized numb area around the incision site?
Could she wean only on that one side?
Would weaning really clear up the problem?
What is really causing the problem?

I would greatly appreciate any input or direction to input that you ladies
have.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton, Illinois
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com