Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 11:30:47 +0000
When doing surgery on the breast, surgeons should realize that:

1. an incision along skin lines, not circumferential cuts fewer ducts.

2. a incision around the areola will decrease future lactational ability
and should not be done.

3. surgery, on anyone, on any part, should be done only when necessary.

When doing surgery on the lactating breasts, surgeons should realize
that:

1. leaking is a possibility and thus the incision should be along skin
lines, so as to cut as few ducts as possible.

2. sutures should be kept in much longer than if the breast were not
lactating, as healing is delayed by leaking.

3. surgery, on anyone, on any part, should be done only when necessary.

This incision can be reapproximated by using staples.  Perhaps a drain
might help.  I wouldn't stop breastfeeding if I were her.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC