From:
Karen Seroussi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:26:24 -0800
Dear All,

  I have a few thoughts on the reps and the freebies.

  To add to Diane W's musing about the term rep, I think the term "formula" is also viewed very innocuously these days and has no negative power.  Formula conjures up images of plump, smiling Gerber baby faces.  Even artificial milk wouldn't make the point as we have lots of artificial flavoring in many foods that people are comfortable eating.  How about Chemically processed milk?

  I very much appreciate this conversation.  I was quite leery of these freebies, but am now more strongly aware of the message it gives patients and subtly sinks into HCPs.  I don't want to be manipulated and I sure as heck don't plan to work this hard through med school to carry the equivalent of a  pharmaceutical billboard (especially not for a steak dinner!).

  I am now pondering the Medela goodies I picked up at ILCA and enjoy using.  I like putting a sticky note with a shadowed breastfeeding baby on things and like using my pens with breastfeeding slogans on them.  In order to avoid compromising my objectivity, I think that I will have to avoid all giveaways.

  As a medical student, I have to add that they have strong power over med students and residents for two reasons.  First, most are very, very poor and couldn't afford the food or time to eat at a nice restaurant, but also, there is an element of joining the club when you get the goodies that real doctors are gettting.  The salesmen can take advantage of that excitement to finally become a doctor to their advantage.

  Last, I have been amused by the choice of goodies brought to the units, namely unhealthy, mostly sugar filled foods--donuts, cookies, pizza.  Seems apropros to me.

  Karen Seroussi, IBCLC, MS-2