From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 18:28:22 EDT
In a message dated 5.22.02 8:47:49 PM, Julie writes:

>I'm a new LLL leader, trying to help a couple of moms
>get babies (2 weeks and 5 weeks) onto the breast.  One
>hasn't nursed since the hospital, the other never
>latched on.  I'm ordering the SNS, but I'd like to
>avoid having to order the expensive instructional
>video.  Does anyone know where I can get really good
>usage instructions, with diagrams, on the web, for
>free?

Hi Julie,
In all my years of doing this, I have never used an SNS to latch a
nonlatching baby. The mechanics of the SNS require a latch to operate, thus
baby must be latched to something, along with the SNS, to create the pressure
gradient necessary. I HAVE heard of people using them to drip *milk* onto the
nipple in an effort to stimulate the process but it seems an awfully
expensive way to do that when hand expression would accomplish the same.
My only use of an SNS is to offer suppmt/breast stimulation or, infrequently,
finger fdng.
It is easy enough to use after reading the enclosed instructions but using it
appropriately is the tricky part!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts