Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:55:51 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
Hi Suzanne,
A bunch of us are coming down to Medford to hear Paul Meier tomorrow, maybe we will get to meet!
Yes, I do try shields with these babies.  the shield's super stimulus did not do a thing for these kids.  I DID get an OT feeding referral for the worst of these babies.  She worked with him for about an hour,a and came to the same conclusion my boss and I had -- he was not able to feed with the Avent or the Haberman, we could only get food down him with a straight yellow nipple. We all think he probably has some kind of syndrome, it's not apparent developmentally yet, in anything besides feeding.  

We do suggest craniosacral, our agreement with pediatricians is that we suggest it to the PED, and let them bring it up with the family.  In our area, we have a variety of practitioners who offer CST,including RNs, PTs, LMTs, and several chiropractors.  The peds tend to not like the idea of sending a newborn to a chiropractor, but are usually OK with an allied health provider they are more familiar with, like a PT or RN.
Maybe see you tomorrow --
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene 

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 10:04 AM
To: Johnson, Martha (Lactation-SHMC)
Subject: poor suck

Martha-
Greetings from Medford, Or.  Strange thing about the suck problems.  I don't see it much.  However, I now have a little one with poor suck and my gut instinct is that there is some type of "syndrome" afoot here.  I also suspect that epidurals may have some play in the poor suck problems; particularly if a narcotic is used (as it is in most cases).  Have you tried a nipple shield?  I use one on many of our preemies that usually have weak suck as it is a stronger stimulus and there a higher degree of "success" for the mom.  Paula Meier wrote an excellent study on shields and was in the JHL a few years back.  If the baby eventually takes a artificial nipple, a shield may be just the ticket.  Mom needs to pump of course to get the supply established and mainttained.  Also, cup feeding is a great bridge to oral feedings.  Have you considered a referral to an OT or your local feeding clinic?  Cranial-sacral therapy may also help.  I don't dare suggest it here as the docs would think I was some kind of witchdoctor.
Keep in touch.
Suzanne Bowes RN, IBCLC

--------------------------------------------------------

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable state and federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or are not authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose to anyone this message or the information contained herein. If you have received this message in error, immediately advise the sender by reply email and destroy this message. 
--------------------------------------------------------

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2