From:
"Johnson, Martha (Lactation-SHMC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:55:51 -0700
Hi Suzanne,
A bunch of us are coming down to Medford to hear Paul Meier tomorrow, maybe we will get to meet!
Yes, I do try shields with these babies.  the shield's super stimulus did not do a thing for these kids.  I DID get an OT feeding referral for the worst of these babies.  She worked with him for about an hour,a and came to the same conclusion my boss and I had -- he was not able to feed with the Avent or the Haberman, we could only get food down him with a straight yellow nipple. We all think he probably has some kind of syndrome, it's not apparent developmentally yet, in anything besides feeding.

We do suggest craniosacral, our agreement with pediatricians is that we suggest it to the PED, and let them bring it up with the family.  In our area, we have a variety of practitioners who offer CST,including RNs, PTs, LMTs, and several chiropractors.  The peds tend to not like the idea of sending a newborn to a chiropractor, but are usually OK with an allied health provider they are more familiar with, like a PT or RN.
Maybe see you tomorrow --
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene