Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 10:01:40 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
In general a lay midwife is one without another degree such as an RN.  As I understand it, there are 2 types of lay midwife in the US.  One is often referred to as the "granny" type.  This is a person who has been at a number of births, may have done some reading etc. but has no particular qualification except reputation.  I think most who oppose lay midwives are thinking of this type.  On the other hand, there are non-medical (not a nurse, doctor, etc.) who have taken extensive training offered by professional midwife groups including something like an internship with an existing midwife.  Most if not all will work with an MD who serves as their backup.  Then there is the nurse-midwife who is an RN who has taken college level training to serve as a midwife.  I bvelieve in some states they can do home births.  In Wisconsin, they are limited to in hospital (or birth center) practice.  This usually leaves those wanting a home birth with only the lay midwife as a chlice.  There are very few MDs willing to do home births-not necessarily because they don't believe in them, but because they are often ostracized and even hae their careers undermined or even dead-ended by the medical establishment!
This is differfent from the midwives in other countries such as Australia where I understand they attend most hospital births with the MD available only when there are complications.

winnie

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2