From:
Rachel Pfab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:34:22 -0400
I had a Mom who is 2 days postpartum  She was on Mag sulfate and had
retained placenta that was manually removed by OB.  Mother's baby bili is
13 and climbing.  Baby sometimes nurses  and other times does not.  Baby
is to be PC'd with 30 cc formula because of jaundice.  Baby also getting
sleepy and sluggish.  Mom has been pumping 15 minutes before feeds and 10
minutes post.  No milk is pumped.  I am afraid that there are still
placental fragments.  If there is then because of the progesterone she
will not produce milk.  OB doesn't agree because she isn't bleeding
heavily.  I showed OB  info in Lawrence's book and Auerbach. He feels D&C
would might leave her infertile.  Does anyone know of any good literature
on the subject that I could present to the OB?  Does anyone else have
thoughts about this scenario?
Warmly,
Rachel Pfab RN, IBCLC