From:
"Lora L. Horn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 00:05:05 -0700
I can't give client studies, but I can give personal experience.  In
February I lost a baby at 6 weeks, while still nursing my then 16 month
old, high need, little boy.  I was alone when the contractions started,
and even though I knew what was going on, the fact that Chris was there
asking to nurse, still needing me, helped me to focus on something else
besides the fact that I was losing a baby.
        Since then, I've been slowly working through the grieving process, but
nursing Chris has been an incredible joy to me.  It helps me to reaffirm
life, and from getting absorbed in my grief.  Continuing to nurse him
has been nothing but a joy, because he is a constant reminder that
despite my losses, I am truly blessed.  I also know that with the
grieving process, the additional strain of having a high need baby who
"lives to nurse" and putting him through a forced weaning would've only
increased the stress and misery in the house.  Focusing on his needs
(while still addressing ours) also helped keep my husband and me unified
when we started misdirecting our anger at each other.
        A friend of mine who is training to be an LC and who has had
experiences of losing a twin during pregnancy, and tandem nursing her
two remaining children has looked at doing research in the area of how
lactation effects grieving and the mother's relationship with the
remaining siblings after a loss.  Even the info she has found on loss of
a twin does not address the breastfeeding relationship.  This area is
sorely lacking, and if it is lacking in the area of a loss of a twin, I
am sure that it is even more lacking when a mother miscarries while
nursing, since the practice is generally looked down upon, anyway.

Returning to lurking,

Lora Horn, LLLL applicant, LC and MFCC in training