From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:05:48 +0100
Patti Rundall at Baby Milk Action sent me a hard copy of a recent
newspaper article, this morning.  The article itself can be found on...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,2079757,00.html

... and deals with examining Nestle's claims that it doesn't WHO code
break in Bangladesh and other resource poor countries.

However, what isn't there on the internet link, but is on the hard copy,
is the printed 'response' to the article, by one Hilary Parsons,
Nestle's head of corporate social responsibility.  My, how easily she
must sleep at night.

Hilary responded with a robust dismissal of the report, which I won't
bore you with, but a phrase she used struck me.

"The article also highlights the fact that a cake and a plastic pen were
given to health professionals - as if such items would persuade the
paediatricians of Bangladesh to endanger babies' lives by recommending
infant formula over breastfeeding."

[Hilary Parsons  [log in to unmask]]

Given the frustration expressed by our USA colleagues in here, over free
cake and pens in their own hospitals, I thought it a quote you may
appreciate having access to.

The online article is also missing the excellent photographs used in the
actual newspaper article, although you can find the main photo - a sick
baby being spoon fed weak solution formula - on the link to the article
from Baby Milk Action's main page:  http://www.babymilkaction.org/
(scroll down).

Morgan Gallagher