From:
Sue Bedard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:45:47 -0500
To Dr Thomas McInerny

I am writing to request that you help the AAP reconsider the recent decision to promot an individual brand of artificial baby milk.
I would like you to consider based on two indisputable FACTS.
1.	DO NO HARM - Formula is harmful
The AAP is charged with the short and long term health of millions of infants and children a year
To promot formula in the first days and weeks of life is not only ill-advised but it is risky and irresponsible.
There is NO benefit to the early introduction of artificial baby milk. In fact research clearly demonstrate harm – both in the immediate as well as long term (adult) health.
The most detrimental time to introduce a foreign substance to a vulnerable newborn is in the first 4 days of life.
If you and your group have any doubt about the importance of human milk and the immediate damage of cow’s milk  as well as the long term impairment I would call your attention to the recent presentation by Paula Meirer “What is the Evidence for JACHO Core Perinatal Measure on Exclusive Breastfeeding During the Maternity Hospitalization ” The Webinar clearly outlines the WHY of exclusive human milk in this most critical time
2.	Appearance and Perception
The is clear evidence that formula bags are harmful – they decrease exclusive breastfeeding and promote early “quitting”. Research at our hospital demonstrated that it was the most “needy” WIC clients that wanted the formula bags and that the more educated and informed that less likely to take the diaper bags – they had already purchased their own. The bags have one purpose – to market artificial baby milk and their brand loyalty. It is about MONEY.
There is not benefit to the AAP promoting this brand. The message goes against all the research, all the Federal and International Guidelines and Recommendations, the CDC, The WHO, JACHO, and the AAP own policy statement.
This decision to use the trust, respect and faith of the AAP and their professional care providers to market a substance that has been shown to be expensive is senseless and  reckless. It undermines years of work and education to promote exclusive human milk feeding for term infants and human milk for sick and premature. Formula is expensive to purchased, formula is expensive to the short and long term health of our nation.
This decision gives a grave message to new mothers and families: formula is just as good as your milk.
This decision tarnishes the professional advice so eloquently outlined in the Position Paper and taints any further advice that your organization offers on infant feeding.

Again, with all respect due to such a prestigious organization, get out of the business of marketing and promoting this or any other brand of artificial baby milk.

Cordially Yours

Sue Bedard RNC

Sue Bedard RNC MSN IBCLC
Lactation Consultant