From:
Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 14:49:09 +1100
I feel as though I am taking a big risk writing this, but I want to put the case for those women who want to avoid consumption of alcohol, and possibly some other socially accepted drugs, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Of course this is an entirely different issue than the woman who is told she MUST NOT breastfeed because she has ingested some alcohol.  I heartily agree with the wisdom Kathy, Jack, Maureen.
It is more an issue of personal autonomy.
Now that I am nearing my half-century I find it hard to believe that I went without much coffee, tea, and a whole lot of other things in my pregnancies - and felt good about it!  No-one told me to.  I chose to do it because I thought it was good, and maintained good health, and had beautiful healthy babies.

I am comfortable with an alcohol-free diet, but often my friends are not comfortable with my choice.  I do not advocate prohibition, I support choice.

Just my .02.
And have a joyeux noel!

Joy Johnston
www.webrider.net.au/~aitex/joy.htm