From:
ellen shein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:33:23 +0200
Hey all,
Sorry for the silent treatment. not intentional, but we Israelis have been a bit busy lately.
Wanted to write before and tell Winnie (I think it was she who mentioned this) that after tossing and turning one night, I suddenly remembered that someone had posted something about 4 drops of rescue remedy to aid in falling asleep! Then I recalled a sample bottle that I received (and never used) about 5 years ago!! Well, a pity I only remembered at 04:45 !! But it did the trick. Now I can't figure out if it was the fact that it was RR or the toxicity of it being 5 years old!!!!

Now for my question!!
I have a little guy. Mom's first born 30 wks. 1.740 at birth, 4.March 02.
Discharged 2.215 on March 31st.  First tube fed, then bottle with EBM. She expressed and even felt she was overproducing. 4 April was his first weigh in at the govt. well baby clinic 2.300.Baby bfg nicely, but Mom concerned that he wasn't getting enough. I asked if she was given instructions by hospital for continued bfg and she said, no that she was told to express and give 40 ml by bottle every 3 hours. She felt he was bfg fine.
I suggested she bf and see how it goes. As long as there are plenty of wet diapers and poos, and the baby is actively eating and swallowing, and calm that that should indicate that he is getting enough and of course, keep expressing in case. I suggested she give it a week and let me know how he does. She called today that yesterday 9 April the baby weighed 2.400 - 100 grams in 5 days. Now, it is a great deal less than what he was gaining with expressed EBM, and she is worried. I suggested that she come in (this up til now was over the phone) and I will help use alternative methods of feeding so as not to compromise his bf ability. I am still of the school that the other methods are healthier not only because of preference, but the actual coordination of suck, swallow and breathe. She feels that he gets tired. Will check, but meanwhile, what would you all do.? he gained 100 grams, so he certainly is getting nourishment. Is it enough?

thanks, and again, thanks for your wishes.

let's hope things get resolved really quick and we can go back to worrying only about
sore nipples and who is in bed with us!!
Ellen Shein, LLLL, IBCLC, Tel Aviv