Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 17:24:36 +0800
gonneke van veldhuizen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Lara, thank you (and your snorting husband ;-)  ) so much. This is what I
> was looking for on this one point. I'm glad to see my guts feeling being
> backed up by a professional.

I just wanted to add - some people have said that they like the 'Don't
shake that milk!' advice, because it leads people towards believing that
mother's milk is super special. But I think there's at least as big a
role for respecting that our milk is robust, not fragile ... and that in
fact, especially microbiologically speaking, it's a lot more robust than
any dead processed milk products are.  And also a giant role for not
overwhelming people with a lot of rules that aren't really necessary,
such that they might start to think that formula feeding is simple by
comparison.

I'm another person who broke most of the 'rules', especially the ones
about shaking and about re-feeding, and we did great - he's now a
strapping, active, curious, thoughtful, delightful boy approaching his
preteen years, who is lucky enough to have been surrounded by plenty of
breastfeeding babies and toddlers and to know how babies are fed.

Dr Lara Hopkins