From:
CLAUDG RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 00:30:32 EDT
We hve just started a lactation management team at our hospital that does
roughly 2100 deliveries a year.  We have 2 lactation consultants.  We have a
controversy going on re: supplementation and how long is too long for a baby
to go without supplementation after birth if it just wont latch on and nurse.
Some feelthat if the baby has nursed one time right after birth and then wants
nothing to do with nursing after that it is ok to let it go 24 hours or so
before considering supplementation.  Others feel the baby needs to eat"each
shift" and do not consider lack of signs of hypoglycemia as a factor.  I would
like to know how others feel so I can bring it to the team.  We are trying to
establish a Lactation Center and a breastfeeding policy so that there is some
continuity.  Thanks in advance for any advise.