From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:53:15 -0400
I became an IBCLC in 1991.  I founded a breastfeeding program at a large
university and for 15 years I grew it into a comprehensive program.  I worked
hard to enlighten the providers I worked with and I saw positive results.  We
had a practice where breastfeeding was truly supported.

A few years ago I was put under the supervision of a new nurse manager who,
in the course of a year, reduced my hours and dismantled my program.  I was
out of a job.  This nurse has taken on my responsibilities -- the all-too-familiar
tale of a non-IBCLC who officially offers "lactation consults" after taking a
weekend class.

I was feeling a bit blue today because I am not recertifying as an IBCLC.   I
cannot work in the field in this area unless I do private practice, and after
trying that I cannot afford it.  Hospitals in this area won't hire IBCLC's unless
they are also RNs.  (So much for 30+ years of experience. Pfffft.)  The IBCLC
is worthless to me.  But, to add to my sadness today I just came across
orders for a fussy six-week old baby in my old practice.
The "lactation plan" was for the mom to stop breastfeeding for a week,
substitute Alimentum, and start omeprazole.  That didn't work.  The parents
say the baby is "worse than ever."  So, (this being a weekend) the baby and
mom have been sent to the local ER for evaluation.

Progress, eh?  It took 15 years to rid the practice of advice like that, and only
a couple years to fall apart.  I also hear that the cabinets in the pediatric
offices are overflowing with formula.  Sigh.

Good luck and courage to all of you who continue to work in this field, and
best wishes to those of you who are striving to become IBCLC.  May your
efforts be worthwhile.