From:
"Sara D. Furr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:48:08 -0500
Christine  wrote, "Have a friend who's child developed  Henoch Sholein
Purpura.  No renal
involvement yet.  Child is 3.  Anyone know of using milk banked milk for
this?  And if so,  what was the outcome?"

Christine, I am not sure why you would need banked milk for this illness.
My daughter Abby developed HSP at age 22 months after an upper respiratory
illness.  The "spots" appeared on a Friday and, being a layperson-type, I
thought it might be chicken pox.  When the spots were still there on
Saturday morning, I spoke to my pediatrician who also thought (over the
phone) that it was chicken pox and suggested an oatmeal bath.  The odd thing
was that the rash did not itch and there were no pustules.  By Monday, the
rash was changing from red to purplish-brown so I took Abby in to see the
doctor.  Upon seeing the rash, she immediately suggested it was HSP and
confirmed this with lab work.   Like your friend, the results for Abby
showed no renal involvement.  At no time did Abby ever show any of the
arthritis-type symptoms sometimes associated with HSP and the purpura faded
away gradually over about a two-week period.  Abby was breastfed at the time
and this may have helped her as she had no complications with the illness.
However, I was told that HSP is usually a milder illness in children under 2
years of age.

I would reassure your friend that the most likely outcome for her child is
that the spots will gradually disappear and her child will be fine.  I think
some children with HSP do have a follow-up blood test to confirm that the
kidneys were not affected.

Sara Dodder Furr, MA, breastfeeding advocate and volunteer
Lincoln, Nebraska