From:
The Bentleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:29:06 -0500
To prevent plugged ducts (which may contribute to mastitis) Lawrence
suggests adding 1 tablespoon per day of lecithin, added to meals and eating
only polyunsaturated fats.

I have heard of several cases where cabbage was used to reduce the
oversupply to a manageable level.

Having a really well absorbed multivitamin/mineral complex may help.
Regular  are 3-7% absorbed, chelated minerals are 10-25% absorbed; fructose
compounded are better (96-98% absorbed) but are currently only available in
North America, Australia, and some Asian countries (soon in Britain).

LLLI LC Series - Mastitis in Lactating Women:

Risk factors for mastitis;
full-time employment, maternal stress or fatigue, poor nutrition or anemia,
high sodium content, consistent pressure on the breast, use of nipple
creams, breastfeeding technique, insulin dependent diabetes

"Recurrent mastitis is usually caused by delayed or inadequate treatment of
the initial mastitis."  Lawrence recommends milk cultures and cultures of
the infant if recurs.  Other family members can be cultured to identify the
source of the bacteria.  "If the infection is chronic, low-dose antibiotics
(erythromycin 500 mg/day) can be instituted for the duration of the
lactation (Lawrence 1994, p.264).  Ductal abnormalities may also play a role
in some cases of recurrent mastitis."

Hope this is helpful -

Michelle Bentley CLE