Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:52:55 -0500
I have to say... My response was that the obvious best source was
unavailable, and these were the only two options :o)

A cold baby is a hypoglycemic baby. The initial situation should have been
prevented by getting baby onto mom's skin, keeping baby warm, and preventing
the hypoglycemic state in the first place.

Best always,
Sam

<<
Just a case study of 1.  Baby born at 35 weeks 4 days ago, weighing 4#14oz.
Spontaneous ROM labor and delivery.  Mom able to hand-express colostrum.
Baby skin to skin continuous.  No temp decline.  Mom taught self-latching in
reclined position.  Baby latches but falls asleep quickly.  Mom taught to
hand-express colsotrum obtaining approximately 1 cc increments.  Taught to
syringe under baby's tongue with the logic that we use nitro and glucose
tabs directly under the tongue not swallowed for immediate access to
bloodstream.  Mom instructed to deliver every 2 hours hand-expressed
colostrum under the tongue and nurse as needed.  At 48 hours, no blood
sugars below 60, bili of 8, 5% weight loss.  Moms started pumping next day
after delivery. At discharge (Day 3), mom's milk in, baby's weight back to
birth weight, bili of 10, glucose WNR, breastfeeding.  Mom sent home with
syringe and tube for makeshift sns if needed, follow-up outpatient
appointment.  3 other babies born same day, similar circumstances all gone
to NICU for IV's etc.  This is only a case of 1, but the docs are pretty
impressed and so are the nurses.  You think we can get a paradigm shift
here?