From:
Dezerie Mogren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 11:45:47 -0400
Hi, my name is Dezerie Mogren; I am a junior nursing student at the
University Of North Dakota.  I am nursing my 8 week old daughter.  When
she was 4 weeks old, I got mastitis.  I was not very familiar with it, and
the doctor told me that it was nothing I was doing wrong that caused the
mastitis.  She also said that I should continue nursing.  I have since
recovered from mastitis but am curious as to what caused it and why you
can continue to nurse.  Won’t the infection be transferred to the baby via
breast milk?
 I did some research on my own and came up with the following.
According to Givens and Luszczak (2002), mastitis can be the result of
stress, fatigue, cracked nipples, or incomplete emptying of the breast.
Michie, Lockie, and Lynn (2003) said that the most common cause of
mastitis is from milk stasis.  It is encouraged to breast feed with
mastitis.  According to Givens and Luszczak (2002), there have been
studies that have shown the infant is not at an increased risk for
infection because there are similar microbial content in both the affected
breast and the noninfected breast.  Marchant (2002) said that pathogenic
bacteria are not actually detected in the breast milk of mothers with
mastitis, therefore, allowing breastfeeding to continue.
 How do you as professionals address these issues with your clients
and do you suggest continuing to breast feed?  Thank you in advance for
your responses, they are greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Dezerie Mogren, SN