From:
Christy Whiteside <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:23:02 -0800
Hi,

Jay and I just went through this with a women..we called it 'hole the size
of a pea on nipple' NOTHING we did helped the pain or healing. She hung
there like a champ and the baby got 100% breastmilk..she pumped a lot and
finger fed a lot. She would try to latch him only to re injure herself. It
was discovered that her nipples were shaped as a flower. I've never seen
anything like this.. the tip of her nipple actually folded out when the baby
fed, and then folded back down and in so that all that was seen when the
baby hadn't been on in a while we a very tiny hole. If I hadn't seen the
nipples just after feeding I would have thought that the nipple only had a
small fissure and she was on her way to healing, but she really wasn't. One
thing that did help was blow drying right after feeding on a warm setting
then newmans nipple cream. Because of the nipple terrain after the nipple
was done it folded down so the skin under that folding was tender, yeast
friendly and sore. Jay said at three months post partum this should resolve.
It did. The day the baby turned three months the mother called
crying...we're feeding 100% it doesn't hurt anymore!!! I recently spoke to a
plastic surgeon who told me that nipples change shapes with consistent
pulling. This is the only thing I can come up with that made this
difference, three months of pumping and partial breastfeeding. Hope this
helps.

Christy

--
Christy Whiteside