From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 15:39:29 +0100
Professor Jack Cohen use to all tell us off about this roundly, many
many years ago.

The reason the stop-week was put in, was because male doctors felt that
women would have psychological stress from not having periods, as it
went against the 'womanly' sense of identity.  Therefore the stop week
was put in, and set in stone, as a 'mental health' measure.

He'd tell us off, as he felt that as females, he felt we should know our
own bodies, and how they worked, and not listen to male Drs telling us
what to do with them.  He said we'd all sat in biology class, in school,
and had drawn a 'gap' in our textbooks (vaginal passage) because the
text books had such a gap.  Yet we sat at the desks, with our legs
closed, and no 'gap' to be had - just a warm fold of flesh.  And didn't
we think that was a bit daft?  We knew there was no gap, but we drew it
and replicated it in exams?

And he highlighted the fact that coming off the pill for one week,
greatly increased our chances of ill health, and that staying on it
permanently, was by far the safest approach.

And I did march to my Dr, and demand to be allowed on the pill all the
time.  And he refused, as it wasn't what he'd been told, and in fact,
they do ration it to make sure you HAVE to have the gap.  Well, they did
in the 80s, no idea if they still do.

*sigh*

I should have spent less time arguing science with Jack, and more time
listening about female reproductive empowerment!!!  Perhaps I wouldn't
have got as far as my 40s, without ever hearing about cervical fluid!

Morgan Gallagher