Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 23:37:55 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/2006 2:38:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

The moms  said the scale allowed them to know, with greater certainty, how
much  post-nursing supplementing (of expressed milk) and subsequent pump use
had  to be going on.

Liz,

glad you brought this up.

Often the scale proves to a mom that pumping and  supplementing is not needed.

and, in 30+ years of working with moms and babies it is my experience that
it is not just pre-termer moms who like scales, they just about all do.

As new moms are bombarded daily with people and ads and  authorities and
relatives and other moms and media, doubting that Bf works, or  will continue to
work, and no matter how much we verbally reassure moms (look at  that perfect
baby!) many moms come to Bf group weekly for reassurance and  the thrill of
seeing that irrefutable measured proof that Bf works, ...to  some moms it is an
important *piece* of information that enhances  confidence that they are indeed
doing a good job of mothering their  baby.

In the US we measure stuff, this will not change just becuz it is not  really
needed or the rest of the world already knows better.

Debbie  Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE

Fairfax County, Virginia suburbs  outside the Washington DC beltway