From:
Deborah Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:05:01 -0700
Hi All,

Ever since hearing that mint can reduce milk supply, I've had a nagging
feeling in the back of my head that Traditional Medicinals brand Mother's
Milk Tea had what I remember was peppermint in it, so I looked it up.  Here
is the ingredient list:

Ingredients: organic fennel fruit 560 mg, organic aniseed fruit 350 mg,
organic coriander fruit 210 mg, organic fenugreek seed 35 mg. Proprietary
blend: spearmint leaf, organic West Indian lemongrass leaf, organic lemon
verbena leaf organic marshmallow root, organic blessed thistle herb.

Why would they put MINT in a tea meant to increase milk supply?  It tastes
lovely but I wouldn't say I taste the mint.  It's one of the first
ingredients listed, which means there is quite a bit of it in there.  Has
anyone else looked into this?

The LC's in my area say that individual herbs work better than teas anyway,
so I've been suggesting fenugreek seed alone or in combination with blessed
thistle, which is what is recommended in a couple of breastfeeding manuals
(Breastfeeding Answer Book comes to mind).

Thanks in advance,

Debbie Gillespie

LLLL, IBCLC after 10/14/05

Tempe, AZ