From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:53:15 -0500
I developed carpal tunnel syndrome the week after I came home from the
hospital with my breastfeeding (and large!) twins, and of all the physical
injuries I've suffered over the years, this was in some ways the most
debilitating! I couldn't pin or unpin their diapers, couldn't pick the
babies up or get them in position for nursing (though once they were placed
in the right spot I could prop them there w/pillows), couldn't snap or
unsnap their little baby duds.

The doctor at the time told me that this happens sometimes as a result of
increased fluid retention (which I had big-time) and subsequent increased
pressure on the nerves in the carpal tunnel. By the time I got to the end of
this monstrous pregnancy (gigantic twins, accompanied by polyhydramnios,
elevated BP, bedrest, swollen *everything*, a move to a new house 2 weeks
before they were born, and on and on and on), I was willing to believe that
ANYTHING in a woman's body could be affected by pregnancy & its "side
effects", so I accepted that explanation.

We treated it w/injections of corticosteroids right into the site - it got
worse for a couple of days, and then, thank gods, better. I don't know if
they still treat it this way, but it sure isn't going to get any better on
its own. I'd tell this mother to get to a doctor (I saw an orthopedist, but
there are probably others who could deal with this situation just as well,
or better) as soon as she can. In the meantime, help her work out whatever
she can to have help with the baby so no further damage is done; nerve
damage/pain is majorly significant, and left untreated it can cause real
severe trouble.

Cathy Bargar RN IBCLC IThaca NY (who is living the consequences of nerve
damage resulting from a relatively "minor" injury, and it's not a pretty
picture!)