From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 06:51:46 -0400
Dear Laurie, I've been LLLL for 33+ years and IBCLC since 1985, 5 yrs as
hosp based LC.  I couldn't begin to calculate how many moms I have seen in
all these years, but I vividly remember the 2 with tubular breasts who were
unable to provide enough milk  for structural reasons. Also one mom who had
great difficulty achieving pregnancy, with subsequent lactation failure
(and it wasn't because she didn't try).  So my 3 into thousands is a
miniscule #.

I just don't know how we can come up with  any sort of an accurate figure
in our culture with so   many various things impacting on  BF.  But it is
worth a try.  We all need to do  better record keeping (and keep duplicate
copies in a safe place so data isn't lost  or destroyed.)  We  need some
sort of a standard form to record what we need to know hx-wise on mom and
some sort of a central collection place.  It would be a vast  undertaking.
But the only way to achieve it would be to start collecting the data!
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ