Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:22:59 +1100
> Other moms I know found it much easier to limit visitors, by having the
> husband stand at the door and talk and not let many people get past the
> entryway.

In a post-natal ward at a BFH one morning I had 14 interruptions between 6am
and 8am - better than one every 10 mins.  This pretty much reflected each
morning.  I would be in tears by 8am wanting my husband to be there to
support me and deal with the people coming in.  On my own I felt not only a
complete lack of support and nurturing but, at times, like I was the
annoyance in the other person's day.

Later in the day when I had visitors the hospital interrupters would see the
visitors, quickly ask what they wanted to, apologise for the interruption
and go again.  I find this difference astounding.

After a few days I worked out that sitting in a chair breastfeeding without
my shirt done up and no bra on was another way to get the length of time of
interruptions shortened.  Their embarrassment scared them off very quickly.

I've found writing this email surprisingly cathartic.  I hadn't realised how
much it was the tone of the person interrupting that bothered me, I just
thought it was the number of interruptions.  I also hadn't realised one of
the reasons why I wanted visitors around was for the nurturing.  I feel this
explains why I both wanted visitors yet longed for quiet time to have just
myself and my husband with our new baby.

Thinking back on this time I'm also surprised to realise how much I was
grieving the time I had been separated from my girl (when she was in NICU)
and that so much of the feeling 'lost' could likely have been solved if
someone had come in and suggested skin-to-skin for hours on end, it would
have been much more effective than coming in and saying 'are you feeding
that baby *again*???'.

During the week I read
Giving children and parents a voice - the parents' perspective
Bridget Taylor, Pediatric Nursing Nov 2006 Vol 18 Issue 9 pg 20

While this article is about Bridget's "experiences as the mother of a child
who was treated for leukaemia and died at the age of nine and a half years"
I found the following particularly also very relevant to post-natal ward
experiences:
"Yet what a relief it was when the nurse caring for us the morning we were
due to go introduced herself and said 'what do you need?'  It's so simple
isn't it...What do you need? Yet how rarely it's asked."

Suzie Heaton
Australia