From:
Lynn Moony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 09:01:57 -2
Hullo Cindy

I haven't looked at your site but am guessing it's the one with the
mom who has a big boy whom she is breastfeeding and a bottle-fed
malnourished girl.  Perhaps IBFAN will chip in as they have
reproduced the photo as a poster.  Perhaps you could contact IBFAN
Africa: [log in to unmask]  and inquire about the cover photo of
IBFAN Africa News, May/June 1994.  This shows a smiling mom with two
beautiful breastfed babies.

I know it from "SCN News", May 1991:
"This picture tells two stories:  most obviously, about the often
fatal consequences of bottle-feeding;  more profoundly, about the
age-old bias in favour of the male.  The child with the bottle is a
girl - she died the next day.  Her twin brother was breastfed.  This
woman was told by her mother-in-law that she didn't have enough milk
for both her children, and so should breastfeed the boy.  But
almots certainly she could have fed both children herself, because
the process of suckling induces the production of milk.  However,
even if she found that she could not produce sufficient milk -
unlikely as that would be - a much better alternative to
bottle-feeding would have been to find a wet-nurse.  Ironically, this
role has sometimes been taken by the grandmother.  In most cultures,
before the advent of  bottle-feeding, wet-nursing was a common
practice.

"Use my picture if it will help", said the mother.  "I don't want
other people to make the same mistake."

Source:  UNICEF.
Photo:  Courtesy of Children's Hospital, Islamabad, Pakistan.

Whilst the photo has dramatic effect, it has limited use here in S.A.
 We are generally more likely to see kwashiokor babies ("sugar
babies") rather than marasmic babies.  We also still have
grandmothers who feed children in their care - the practice of
wet-nursing is currently being discouraged in this country because of
the high prevalence of HIV.
Lynn Moony
Johannesburg, South Africa