From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 11:16:59 -0700
New study on gene alterations after a single chemical exposure makes the
book below even more important.  I have not yet read it.  Judy

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/05/21/bloomberg_articl
esM4DRCL6KLVR401-M4E16.DTL

Breasts:
A Natural and Unnatural History

Florence Williams. Norton, $25.95 (336p) ISBN 978-0-393-06318-9

http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-393-06318-9

In her comprehensive "environmental history" of the only human body part
without its own medical specialty, Outside contributing editor Williams
focuses on the importance of understanding breasts as more than sex objects:
they act as "a particularly fine mirror of our industrial lives." Americans
have 10 to 40 times the amount of flame retardant chemicals in their breast
milk as Europeans, for example, and improved nutrition is responsible for
earlier onset of puberty in girls-which is linked to higher breast cancer
risk. "You know we're living in a strange world when we have to biopsy our
furniture," Williams comments. She sweeps the reader along a journey
extending from the evolution of human breasts from sweat glands, through
cosmetic breast enhancements, the science and politics of breastfeeding, and
possible links between pollutants and breast cancer in both women and men.
Her clear explanations of biology and other technical matters ensure that
readers without a scientific background can follow her account. She
concludes with recommendations for individuals and governments to prevent
further breast-related health problems. Williams puts hard data and personal
history together with humor, creating an evenhanded cautionary tale that
will both amuse and appall. Illus. Agent: Molly Friedrich, Friedrich
Literary Agency. (May)

Reviewed on: 03/05/2012

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/interviews/article/51295
-good-breast-bad-breast-pw-talks-with-florence-williams.html