From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 07:01:24 -0600
Midwifery text from 1807, the name in front in beautiful calligraphy is Daniel Swan.  Little mention of breasts or their use :-(

The Text Book of Obstetrical Nursing 1922 says "it is generally supposed that in many cases a woman is unable to nurse her baby because her milk is too scanty or does not agree with the child, In point of fact these cases are few and far between."

Obstetrical Nursing 1928 mentions bathing the nipples before and after feeds with a solution of boric acid.  Lead [!] shields are sometimes used to protect the nipples...No amount of care on the nurse's part will protect the patient if she [the patient] touches her nipples with her fingers." The cures for sore nipples are atrocious!

the 1945 Management of Obstetrical Difficulties is quite a volume with color pictures and1000 pages, very  few about breasts.

Expectant Motherhood, which my mom got in 1956 when expecting my sister, states although the mother has no direct responsibility for the care of her baby during the first week or so of the puerperium, she will naturally want to acquaint herself with all that concerns this new and precious possession.  There are 2 pages discussing breast vs formula feeding.  My mom wasn't given a choice!  My sister was an Rh baby who underwent two total blood exchanges in her first 24 hours and my mom was told breastfeeding would make the Rh blood problem worse.  Just as my mother-in-law who had nursed 3 babies to a year was told with her 4 th in 1946 that the eclampsia she was having would "poison" her baby.

Also  found a 1st edition of Grantly Dick-Read.!that I picked up for 5 cents somewhere!  Still having fun, but the boxes are heavy!  Pat in SNJ