From:
Nleeguitar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:27:45 EDT
Hi Everybody:
    The wonderful posts on gift packs got me to think about them. It seems
that the folks that protest a lot about not giving gift packs are nurses. "The
mothers want them, we have to give them..." sort of mentality.
    I wonder if another factor in this pie is the fact that nurses want to
give something to a new mother. It feels good to give something when a baby is
born. And in our materialistic society, the only thing that feels like a gift
is "stuff". And nobody can afford stuff like a formula company. A prayer or
terrific instruction or great support just doesn't feel like a gift. But it
is.
    Clients want gifts because they have been taught to expect them. I have
been instructed in the past to give out formula gift packs to my childbirth
classes. I have always protested, and don't do it. I point out to the bosses
the mixed messages, the undermining, and the lack of ethics...and haven't had
any big problem with it.
    The students in the class very rarely ask about "freebies", and when they
do, I tell them that I don't have anything good to give them as far as gift
packs or the like. But I will give them my home telephone number and one free
phone call after they have their baby, so that if they need breastfeeding
help, they can get it from someone they know. If, after that one free call,
they choose to hire me, fine. If they don't choose to hire me, fine and I give
them the numbers of  the WIC breastfeeding program and the lay counselors in
their area. Warmly, Nikki