From:
Debbie Rabin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 01:45:09 -0500
Re: Tricia 's post

I have worked over the last two decades with many children, toddlers and
infants with Downs syndrome. A small correction- low muscle tone is
hypOtonia. High muscle tone/spasiticy is hypERtonia, which rarely occurs with
these kids, but I have seen it in downs syndrome children with cerebral palsy
and Spina Bifida.

A cardiac abnormality is as much as or more of a challenge to breastfeeding
than the Downs syndrome, and together it is especially challanging, but not
impossible.

Any baby with a bowel disorder at birth will have tremendous feeding
challanges, as well as developmental challanges, and need the breastmilk as
much as or more than other babies. I would even go so far as to want to find
a mother's milk bank if my own were not available, instead of ABM!

I totally agree with all that has been previously posted on Downs syndrome.
There is a tremendous range of abilities that occur with this diagnosis, and
early intervention, therapy,  and stimulation with an enriched environment
can make a great deal of difference.

Dear Abby or Ann Landers ( I forgot which one) has a lovely column from a
parent of a Downs Syndrome child. I am sure she would reprint it upon
request.

Debbie Rabin, OTR, CLC
Los Angeles, CA