From:
Markham Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 19:50:40 -0700
Hi,
  I am working with a mom who has a 7 month old with epilepsy and many other
neurological problems.  This baby  is on ACTH, Topomax, Phenobarbital and
Pyridoxine.  Mom began Reglan this weekend because baby has refused to
breastfeed since she got sick with double pneumonia (baby is currently on a
ventilator in the hospital) and mom felt her milk production was going down.
(Mom got this drug on her own, even though I had suggested that more
frequent pumping, fenugreek or milk thistle, would be a better way to
increase her supply).
  Mom questions if the amount of Reglan that will be secreted in her breast
milk would be contraindicated with the meds that baby is taking. I  have
looked up everything I can and did find one reference saying that Reglan
should not be used in those who have epilepsy (which baby has).
  Mom also takes 3 -4 Valium each week to cope, she does not want to take
antidepresents(has hx of depression)  and I talked to her in length about
the risk of taking Reglan.  I have asked her to call her Dr again and tell
him about her Valium use and about her depression.  She is just trying
desperately to do something for her little girl and feels that breastfeeding
is the one thing she can do. Anyone have information I can share with her?
Thanks for your help.

Warmly,
Judith Markham  IBCLC